Wednesday 24 August 2011

Reflections on Session 1

I've always hated maths and was feeling butterflies in my tummy while coming in for the first lesson. It was a pleasant suprise that I felt a tiny bit of interest and enthusiam at the end of the lesson. Dr. Yeap made the lesson so interesting and hands-on that I didn't feel like I was made to solve maths problems that made me feel stupid.

I especially loved the spelling card trick and was so excited on learning this cool trick that I showed it to my children aged 4 & 7 this morning and they were so impressed. I taught the older one how to figure out the arrangements of the cards and she took it a step further and arranged it backwards too. The arrangment of the cards done backwards are 2,8,3,5,9,6,4,1,7. 

This lesson made me reflect on the importance of being a teacher and how it affects the students that we teach. If Dr. Yeap could make me (a die-hard hater of maths) to actually change my opinion a little, that could make a whole world of a difference in a child's life. As teachers we need to constantly reflect on our teaching practices and evaluate the responses from the students. We play a part in molding the future of tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment