Wednesday 31 August 2011

Reflections on Session 4

Tonight's session touched on fractions and how we use language to teach children. I've always thought that we teach children fractions by saying 3/5 (three over five) but apparently I've been wrong all this while. One important fact that I learnt was: all equal parts in fraction can be named, and after listening to Dr Yeap's explanation, I truly understood fractions for the first time.

Another important fact that I learnt was to try to avoid the  "key-word strategy" as it trains the child to respond incorrectly when they see certain key-words e.g. the word 'more' can usually means to add, however, depending on how the mathematical problem is phrased, it could actually require the child to subtract.

This session has been very helpful and I now understand the basics of fractions a little better.

No comments:

Post a Comment